PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manifold Pressure R22
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 20:34
VfrpilotPB/2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would ernestly suggest that you stay within the KNOWN limits especially with the R22.

I once SFH'd a nice looking R22, that a Fi had just allowed his student pilot to exceed its limits during a practice auto down to power recovery, despite my absolute keeness for everything being right and where it should be on my pre-flite( you cannot see the overstretched rotor bearings) I started up and after all I could do I flew off to pick up my friends 12yr old son to give him a special birthday treat!!

Imagine my horror when I discovered I had a machine that was totally out of kilter and trying to shake itself to pieces but all this only realy kicked it at around 60 knots and at the critical take of stage.

I wont bore you with details for it still makes me go cold when I think about it, but with the brilliant help of the EGNH ATC that day I was blessed and managed to land in one piece, later to find I was given the excuse that the young Fi hadnt really though it was a problem exceeding the limits, and hadnt thought even to write it in the tech log (which I always read before any flight).

Simple really the limits are there to stop other or further problems, due to a complete idiot who DID'NT KNOW WHAT LIMITS WERE THERE FOR, I was
handed a Helicopter that could quite easily have finished up a heap of wreckage with me and my friends precious son wrapped up in in it.

STAY WITHIN THE LIMITS, AND STAY ALIVE!!

Peter R-B
VfrpilotPB