PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German Accounts of Battle of Britain Missions
Old 9th Sep 2008, 20:11
Eagle402

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further to the recommendations above I have pm'd Globemeister but unless he can get his hands on a copy my suggestion will be too late. However, I can recommend :

'I flew for the Fuhrer' by Heinz Knoke. Memoirs of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot. 400 missions, 52 Allied kills including 19 USAAF bombers. Shot down and badly injured himself near the end of the war. Awarded the Knight's Cross.

In stock at that well known river related site. Superb read. There are also some good references to life in a Luftwaffe night-fighter squadron in Len Deighton's excellent 'Bomber'. Fiction but, as ever, the research is superb. One story that comes to mind is two of the pilots playing cards in the afternoon prior to that evening's mission. One loses heavily and is reminded that he now owes a serious amount of marks especially with inflation being at lunatic levels. He replies drily "my money's in my other trousers".

Chugalug2 - great story - thanks for that amigo. My dad, on business in East Berlin in the early 70's, met an ex Me-110 pilot who had flown relief missions during the siege of Stalingrad. I still have his autograph on a 'Dogfight Double' box (featuring a Typhoon and a FW-190 iirc) that my dad had bought on the outbound trip. I remember my dad conveying the utter despair that the guy had experienced as virtually all of the supplies/ammo fell into Russian hands.

Regards and good luck tomorrow,

Eagle402