PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mess Cannon
Thread: Mess Cannon
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 16:49
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondered if anyone else had discovered 'crow scarers'* - bluddy marvleeous things

Try cutting a small hole in a tin of beans and inserting a crow scarer - removing the paper on the fuse makes it easier to light but decreases the fuse burn time

It makes a helluva bang and a helluva mess too... I suspect inserting it into a mortar would need good timing but the effect would be amazing Imagine the airburst...watch out for the shrapnel though!

*Crow scarers- as it says on the tin- available from farm supplies shops. Usually in a cardboard box with several 'strings'. They're basically industrial sized bangers, fitted into a length of hemp rope. Officially, you light the end of the string and leave it in your planted field- rope burns and eventually reaches scarers at various positions along its length....unofficially, you take them out of the rope...
They're much easier to get hold of than thunderflashes

Wrapping them in a couple of layers of cloth tape(we used the tape used to repair knots in glider winch cable) increases the power. Another tip is that they'll burn underwater too, which increases the fun factor no end

We used to tape them to the end of my crossbow bolts and fire them at seagulls- Just like real Flak . Never hit any gulls, but certainly increased their bowel movements...

I've seen them blow a beer can into tiny pieces, so be careful out there