PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 14:59
suninmyeyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with Rainboe. Two 777 training Captains who recreated it in the sim with the data available, ZFW, fuel, Flap 30 Vref (constant wind used as cannot simulate gusting winds) noted that from "Hang on, what's going on here" to hitting the grass was just 25 seconds. Once they had come to a stop just short of 27L there was a stunned sense of disbelief. Now bear in mind this was just a simulator, no life endangerment, and these pilots were expecting it. As soon as the power comes off the nose immediately pitches up rapidly to maintain the glideslope.Speed comes back to about 105 knots. Lowering the nose towards the horizon to regain lost speed results in an immediate descent rate of about 2,800 fpm. Not much fun in a widebodied jet at 500 feet with full flap. I would hate to think of the rate of descent if you lowered it below the horizon. I am amazed at the number of things different people on this forum have said the 038 pilots should have done in those 25 seconds. The pilots never claimed to be heroes.

Incidentally a lot of professional pilots do not disclose inside knowledge on this forum because the non qualified theorists like to challenge it, or correct it which is irritating to professionals. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Airlines are very safe but leaking information outside the industry can give the wrong impression. An example of this is MEL items and the outrage it created on the Spanair thread. Or an example outside aviation: You try telling someone who has never been in a car that during rush hour these things that weigh 1500 kgs go onto roundabouts at 30mph and miss other cars by only 3 seconds, or drive down motorways sometimes with separation times of only 2 seconds and you have blindspots where the driver cannot see cars behind him. There would be uproar, non-drivers on car rumour forums would say passengers should at all times observe the blind spot and warn the driver and all speed limits should be reduced by 50% to enhance safety. Flying is very safe. Leave it to the professionals.