PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Aviation Academy
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 12:43
Zyox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

... what county/radio station was this?

Firstly:
He said "CAA have direct link with Air Canada & have placed pilots there in the past" Also stated was the fact that CAA would provide a job placement for anyone continuing to year 3. The second guy seemed to agree with the statement.
This is a lie. Straight to the point - it's a lie. Call it marketing if you want, but having these two guys with the wool over their eyes saying this before they head over like it's gospel leads me to believe it's more than just "clever marketing". It is a lie. Fact.

Algonquin Flight Centre is owned in part by a training captain for Air Jazz, a subsidiary of Air Canada if I recall correctly, who flies a CRJ for them. During my time there he was rarely around and had very little input into the school apart from the business side of things. From what I hear that has changed more recently so fair enough. So you might think, ok, that's not a lie...

However I can confirm that no graduate of CAA/PRI/whatever it is this week has EVER been placed in Air Canada or any airline. 2 graduates here people, I'm one of them. I'm converting my JAA at the moment completely on my own, by choice, same as the other guy - who I don't want to talk on behalf of here really.
My point here is they are lying about past students, and it's stomach turning to think people are being taken in by it face value.
Stomach turning because they lied to me, and the other 9 students who started with me, when we joined telling us they had past students and work placement - to find once we got there that we were the first year of the course.

Secondly:
These guys were in their late teens and had just finished school. I'm not sure why only two people have completed the training at CAA but it sounded to me (and this is just my opinion) from the interview that these guys were caught up in a romantic dream of flying and not considered that Canada is a long way from home. A long way from parents who insisted you sit and study for your exams. A long way from the friends you grew up with and Canada as a nation it is still a different culture to home. Most importantly it is a very long way from home comforts and on hand family support when going through the ups and DOWNS of what can be in itself an intensive and stressful training and study regime.

Regardless of the dream of soaring in the clouds it is vitally important to keep ones feet planted firmly on the ground to ensure sound decisions. Something that is a must in the aviation industry given the weight of responsibility carried by the professionals.
Extremely extremely well said. I really hope that kids in their teens and even those older take heed of this. It should be made a sticky post here! Fair play to you Pjlot