PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Aviation Academy
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 12:19
Pjlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio interview CAA students (South Ease Radio)

I heard last week on a local regional radio station 2 young guys who were about to leave for Canada and start training with CAA.

The radio presenter was interviewing them as part of a morning show, I was somewhat surprised to hear what they said on air and I have to say it was a great free advertisement for CAA.

One of the guys spoke about returning to Ireland after a year or so once finished his training and I don't recall him mentioning anything in relation to conversion in the interview.

The other said that he was guaranteed a job as an instructor for the second year and the from that 3rd year on he would be placed as a pilot with an airline . He said "CAA have direct link with Air Canada & have placed pilots there in the past" Also stated was the fact that CAA would provide a job placement for anyone continuing to year 3. The second guy seemed to agree with the statement. The guy not returning to Ireland after training seemed to feel he would guaranteed a job with the Canadian national carrier in year 3!

I'm not trying to knock the training organisation here or the guys but they both said that their parents were helping them out with loans for training! I don't think that a job is a given with any training organisation these days and to choose a school based on that is misleading.

I hope these parents have not re-mortgaged their homes to cover the training. Again I'm not trying to bash the school or the two young guys. I don't know if it is just me but as part of enrollment exams etc (please don't start a debate about FTO enrollment exams and how they serve one simple purpose) you need to perform well in a verbal reasoning test. What is it with some people who read and advert or some "here say" on a website that justifies what they want to do and manage to take from it only what they want to hear and not look at both the pros and cons of any training organisation.

Again this is not a criticism of CAA, but from the interview it gave the distinct impression that these guys had only considered what they were going to do after completing training. They spoke as if walking into a job was a given. They never mentioned how difficult or intense the training would be. This makes you wonder have they really considered everything involved in the course. They also stated CAA would find them a job!

These guys were in their late teens and had just finished school. I'm not sure why only two people have completed the training at CAA but it sounded to me (and this is just my opinion) from the interview that these guys were caught up in a romantic dream of flying and not considered that Canada is a long way from home. A long way from parents who insisted you sit and study for your exams. A long way from the friends you grew up with and Canada as a nation it is still a different culture to home. Most importantly it is a very long way from home comforts and on hand family support when going through the ups and DOWNS of what can be in itself an intensive and stressful training and study regime.

Regardless of the dream of soaring in the clouds it is vitally important to keep ones feet planted firmly on the ground to ensure sound decisions. Something that is a must in the aviation industry given the weight of responsibility carried by the professionals.