PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 12:05
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are more witnesses testimonials, of course all of them subjective and probably innacurate. This is my personnal summary of the most important bits of information, which pretty much corroborates other witnesses:

-Someone pulled weather info as soon as he found out about the accident
LEMD 201600Z 23004KT CAVOK 31/M00 Q1017 NOSIG=
METAR LEMD 201530Z 23005KT 180V340 CAVOK 31/M01 Q1017 NOSIG=
LEMD 201430Z 24006G19KT 170V340 CAVOK 30/02 Q1017 NOSIG=

-A worker claims to have been on north side of T4S, where the SAT building ends, aprox. near parking 512-516, on EPA north where the IB dollys/stairs/luggage trucks are. He says he thought it was weird the MD was using as much runaway as an A-340. Soon after it took off some 50m high, it rolled left, then corrected to the right, but it fell like if it had stalled, the wing touched the ground and it crawled for some 500m until it went into a (small) "forest" and exploded on a big fireball. Answering some questions he specifically says: I don't think any of the "turns" (rolls) were "brutal" (too excessive). They were smooth, but on the roll to the right, I saw that the right wing touched the ground 3-5 seconds and then it "stabilized" with the bottom touching the ground and crawling on it for that 500m. He had not been contacted by the investigation commission at the time of writing (2 days after the accident).

Another rescue worker said:

-First signs of impact at aprox. the same level as PAPI marks of 18R, about 30m away from the runaway, marks from back landing gear, marks of right wing touching the ground for some 10 meters, followed by front wheel gears that bounce some 2m to the front and from then on all wheels remain on the ground. For about 500m the plane seems to have rolled on the ground quite intact, with only the back part of the plane missing (the one that differenciates MD's from DC9's), an engine cover, and nothing else. Some 500m later it hits a barrier and leaves the ground, due to the gap in terrain level, another 400m aprox. and hits the "forest". I would guess by the location of the pieces that it finally landed "upside-down". On the terrain it was impressive that from the place where it touched ground at first until the final landing zone it was some 1km away. But I insist that the MD didn't start to break down until it hit the barrier after about 500m of uncontrolled rolling on the ground by the runaway. The engines were in the whereabouts of the rest of the parts, that is, they didn't detach much earlier on.

Last edited by justme69; 9th Sep 2008 at 13:56.