PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 04:44
sispanys ria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I surprised or concerned that I have not received a download of all the data in the QAR, FDR and NVM or test rig papers etc? No. Am I surprised or concerned that the AAIB may omit from the 21 page interim report certain information about events which I assume the AAIB is confident happened on or about impact (perhaps technically part of flight until aircraft stationary, perhaps interesting to a pilot, but not relevant to the focus of the investigation)? No. Am I concerned that information in earlier AAIB bulletins such as about FOD (eg plastic scraper) has not made it into the interim report? No. In fact I really believe the AAIB is doing a great job synthesising the information and keeping the correct focus on the critical failure condition.
And do you believe in Santa Claus ? The reason why many countries are usually disclosing the raw recorded information is to avoid the investigations to be questioned. I'm glad you believe whatever is submitted to you but what will happen if (God forbid!) one day the AAIB is releasing inaccurate info ?

When I read this report and know that the crew got rewarded as heroes I really have the feeling of a bad joke. They certainly did save the day by finally reducing the AOA when the aircraft was stalling, but that's what any pilot is supposed to do as a very basic reflex. As a result I don't see heroes but only pilots who were probably surprised after a long flight and who did their best according to their perception of the situation. But no heroic behavior (at least not in what the report is stating about retracting flaps under AP and low energy conditions and aiming 300 m beyond the threshold...). Even with fully disclosed raw information many investigation autorities did already manage to release BS, what would make the AAIB so different ?
I recommend you to read the concord report, you would then understand how easy it is to use the raw data to realize the investigators are sometimes having very curious interpretations... Welcome to neverland.

Last edited by sispanys ria; 9th Sep 2008 at 05:06.