PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 01:07
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, as you know, I have no experience in anything relating to airplanes/airlines/airports, other than being a somewhat frequent international flyer.
That doesnt matter.Your contributions have been important.An open forum means more clutter but usually pays dividends in the long run.

Returning to checklist discipline,perhaps we could discuss:
a)In your airline,does the skipper always call for takeoff flaps or does the First Officer select it without asking?
b)If the SOP was for the skipper to call it but your First Officer kept jumping the gun,would you let it go or insist on the SOP?
c)If takeoff flaps are delayed due icing/not all engines running due congestion/perf data still missing, what provisions do you make to ensure that the checklist is not forgotten?Brief it(oral reminder)?Or does it need a visual reminder(checklist partiallly withdrawn from its jacket)?Do you think either work?
d)How often do you find yourself responding to a checklist in a rote fashion.You say it before actually looking .I wont ask if you say it and dont look........
e)Do you believe in the challenge/response methodology unequivocally?If so,and the company/manufacturer SOP doesnt,how do you deal with that?
f)You're in a bit of a rush for whatever reason..Your colleague starts responding to his/her own challenges and then stows the checklist..do you
-say nothing
-make a visual check to confirm it
-ask for the checklist again and delay takeoff or GA
g)The way in which you execute a checklist(disciplined vs relaxed anywhichway) actually has no bearing on your propensity to actually forget to call for the checklist.True or False?

My own responses would be:
a)Skipper always calls it.
b)I'd insist.
c)I'd do both and pray to the good Lord that they work.
d)Guilty.Engage brain,then speak.
e)Yes.I would enforce it regardless,except one or two minor checklists.
f)Ask again.I have made a visual scan to confirm but I know its wrong.
g)I am sure theres a strong connection between the two.False