PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2008, 22:07
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for all those 'Pro ID card'. Are you Pro ID card as in a card that proves your identity or are you Pro ID card and database?
Those that approve the database part no doubt would not have minded living in East Germany and having everything about them recorded.
The Government has already added extra bodies entitled to access to Contactpoint (Your children's database) without any consultation.
I usually find that those Pro ID card people have little concept of the database and the Governments dismal record on changing the use of any law or system without consultation or agreement.
I don't worry about them as it is clear that they are in a minority.
Even if I were Pro ID, I would be against the blatant discrimination of Aviation workers.
Having met with the Home Office on the issue of ID cards I am now even more against the introduction in general and especially of the issue to aviation workers.
As it will be specifically against the law for anyone to demand to see your ID card (In the beginning) It would seem a totally pointless exercise.
We know that the system will be trialled at one UK airport initially before being rolled out to all. The Home Office say that the decision has not yet been made as to which airport. They say it would have to be one that is willing to cooperate. However, logical deduction points to Manchester, based on the fact that some new airside passes are now only being issued with a renewal date of 12 months instead of the normal 5 years. Also the fact that they are the first to introduce the full biometric system.
As for cost. £30 will be the initial cost (Rising significantly in later years) and it will be up to each individual/group/Union to negotiate with employers as the individual will be responsible for the cost. I don't think the employers are going to be happy spending hundreds of thousands on a scheme that offers absolutely no benefits especially as it will not even replace the existing security checks.