PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAMS and why they need to be checked....
Old 8th Sep 2008, 16:25
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a part of the "notam problem" is that most of the UK GA scene is quite "old" in terms of pilot age, and doesn't have IT skills.

Somewhere around 90% of new PPLs chuck it in for good within a year or two, which leaves only a slow trickle of pilots who will hang in there entering the PPL scene each year. All the rest are much older "residents" who trained, I guess, on average, maybe 20 years ago.

And anybody who trained before c. 2002 will not have seen any notam website at all. In 2003 the ais.org.uk site was crap, missing off vital French power station TRAs which nearly got me busted by the frogs.

And most "older" pilots do not know how to use a PC, never mind the internet.

I do not wish to sound disrespectful to older pilots (I fly with many of them) but what we have here is a WW1/WW2 training scene which in its backwardness stops just short of handing out leather helmets and goggles on your first solo, while the powers to be have brought in a super duper modern bang up to date system for notams, whose ignorance is more or less guaranteed by the majority of currently active pilots because it requires bang up to date IT skills (called the "internet") to use.

To me, this is fair enough, and I have mobile internet so I can check notams anywhere, with a PDA, with a laptop, could even do it in Mongolia using a satellite phone, could even do it when airborne, but currently most UK airfields do not even have public internet access!

When I got my PPL in 2001 I had never been shown how to check notams. The Chief Flying Instructor (note the capital letters - I am showing due respect by writing it as the CAA due in their letters) would pin some local notam printout to the wall each morning, together with tafs/metars, and each instructor would give it a quick glance, and that was it. And I am a relatively recent recruit to flying...

The best thing the CAA could do it mandate a free internet connected PC at every airfield.