PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rough cost of servicing a Eurocopter EC 135
Old 8th Sep 2008, 16:08
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Sky High Ulster, as a taxpayer it is your right to question the value of having a helicopter so don't feel too aggreived at people having a go!! I fly a 135 in merseyside and in my past I flew many many hours in NI. I assume, by having Ulster in your name, that you are not a republican terrorist trying to be anti-police. In defence of an asset grounded 20 hours a day..... here goes.....
Servicing and maintenance are done on airframe hours, the more you fly - the more it costs. Pilotage is a fixed cost when you contract out, direct employ is fixed cost assuming everyone stays healthy (or you have a very good costly insurance policy). Using the pilots and crew more often has a small annual saving per flying hour, but will cost more overall for the year. The major cost overall will be fuel and engineering.
Some days we fly 10 hours per 24, some days zero hours per 24. The main thing is that we are available, very important to note this one, available if needed. If a pursuit or incident can be managed safely, we MAY have just saved an innocent life, you will never know because it never happened. We recently saved a woman who attempted suicide (mental problems), she WOULD have died but for us. So what cost a life? What cost a safe conclusion to a pursuit? 1 million quid is a lot of money each year, you think too much. So how much is not too much? Is 500k alright and 1 million not?
I am a taxpayer and I have and will continue to raise my concerns when I think cash is being wasted. My boss thinks I am millitant some days, but this is public cash we use. However I truly believe that the money we pay for the helicopter is money well spent. The criminals still fear us and they will stop a job if they see us around. Our and others records speak for themselves. Bite the bullet and accept that they are doing a worthwhile (but expensive ) job.