PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAMS and why they need to be checked....
Old 8th Sep 2008, 14:43
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During my training the most I would have been asked was 'have you checked the notams?' personally I see it as the students responsibility it seems blaming instructors as some have is a bit like blaming PPLs as their 'training' was poor. If pilots (student or PPL) haven't got any clue about these things they should look to themselves nobody else, it was obvious to me throughout my training that one doesn't launch off on a route without checking the notams, it was something that I knew I had to be on the ball about, so why not others?
Fact is it is the instructors responsibility to satisfy himself you have properly briefed for the flight - guess whose neck it is when the stude passes through the Red Arrow display.

.. .. .. imho rightly so, you are a student through out the PPL course, it does no harm when sent out on your very first x-country(s) to be reminded of the planning components - if you have them all covered good on you, if you havent its another lesson learnt. If you fly through NOTAM'ed airspace shame on you, but more shame on your instuctor - unless you told him you had checked, but hadnt really!!