PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2008, 10:45
Poof in Boots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin crew are trained to alert the Flight Crew to any ice build up on the wings before take off, so why not mention that the flaps are not extended? This should be included as an "awareness check", rathern than making it mandatory.

How many times have the 'tower controllers' alerted a Flight Crew about a configuration problem?

After Kegworth there has been much attention paid at BA regarding Cabin Crew alerting the Pilots of problems with the engines such as fire and vibration. especially regarding the correct identification of which engine actually has the problem! At critical times they are instructed to phone the senior crewmember. There have been many occasions where cabin crew have noticed such situations. I for one have had two circumstances: one where a panel was missing in the cruise from the top of a wing and when the flaps on the L/H/S of a 747 had not retracted properly after take off. There was no indication on the Flight Deck that the flaps were stuck out.

I think that 411 needs to be aware that he and his colleagues are not infallible. I wonder if cabin crew on the low cost carriers are trained to such a high standard?