PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?
Old 8th Sep 2008, 10:08
Shlarm47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work in London, banking industry, age 33, married with one child. I work a very social 8:30 - 5:30. However the commute kills me. I travel some 90 miles to work daily, with a total daily commute of 3:30hrs (on a good day) which usually results in not being able to see my child until the weekend.

My issue is the associated costs with getting to work, over £6.5k per annum season ticket..... that's over £10k gross! Obviously reducing my disposable income, but if you want a cheaper, larger house and wish to live outside of the capital you're somewhat tied.

Gross income £45k (excl bonus which isn't looking good for this year!). Net income after tax, NI, pension etc is £2,400. This excludes the £550 per month cost of travel to work.

I would love to have a career change and have looked at the Modular route. I've already saved £15k but unfortunately my wife has stated that she wouldn't agree to support the career change to commercial pilot although she is supportive about a new career in the RAF (ground role as I'm too old)...... confused??????