PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2008, 22:11
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The A300 sure as Hell does (!) Incidentally there's a lot of politicking and egos in this thread between the old style Gods on the flightdeck and the lesser mortals. Suffice to say that if I had been on an MD80 that had crossed the runway holding point with no flaps and the take off about to commence I would be banging on the flight deck door demanding the nice man's attention. Alas I am only what you snidely refer to as "self loading freight" so in your pampered little world I daresay I have no right to an opinion. Thanks God people who hold these views are dying out.
As I mentioned earlier, I thought about this as a PPL and frequent SLF; I first started to think of this in fact, after an F-28 crashed in Dryden, Ontario, due to ice-contaminated wings. I have concluded that there would be very little I could do.

Do you travel first class all the time? Because I am a cheapskate and more likely to be well in the back of the 'bus on a cheap ticket. So let's look at practical realities here:

1) when do you dash up front to bang on the door? What if you're at an unfamiliar airfield, would you know when it is appropriate to dash up to the FD door? What if they're taxiing you down a runway because a taxiway is closed, or because there isn't one and you're backtracking down the main runway? At what point do you rush forward to make a fool of yourself? Do you walk or run? Because if you are in fact turning onto the active and are cleared for immediate takeoff, on an aircraft like the MD-80 on most flights, you have maybe 20 seconds before V1 to get your message across.

2) do you really believe, in this post 9-11 world, that if you charged the cockpit door at a point in the flight when you're expected to have your butt in a seat and your belt fastened, you'd make it to your destination alive? On a US flight with a sky marshal, you're likely to suffer acute lead poisoning before making it there. On an Israeli flight you are certain to suffer acute lead poisoning before getting there.

So how do you get the message across?

My conclusion is that it would be very difficult.

So let's put this one to rest and let the pros get on with figuring out ways to prevent misconfigured takeoffs...