PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2008, 21:47
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it's not beyond the wit of mankind to design flaps slats etc so that they could be seen from the cabin,
Already there - called the cabin windows
or heaven forbid some kind of rear view mirror such that they could be seen from the cockpit.
No need - we have Flaps Controls & Indicators etc in the cockpit. I am unaware of any accident where the Control and Indicator said the Flaps were deployed, yet they were not If they are not deployed at all, a warning (should) sound. In the event an accident is shown to have been caused by the above procedures failing, might it not be best to cure those failings? Please NB there are various takeoff Flap and/or Slat settings, and an incorrect setting could be as fatal as no setting at all
I am only high mileage SLF, but I can see that as soon as you let go of the control freak image that you apparently have you might realise that those crew in the back of the aircraft actually might prefer to contribute to safety, rather than die trying. Actually I, as many others, have extremely acute night vision, maybe your staff do too. Do you know ? Night take-offs may not be the problem that you think they are. ie Sorry to be rude, and I am sure you will have the smart answer, just put a light on the bloody things.
Please could you write the procedure for CC /SLF to know which Flap setting should be made - between the say 3 different Flap/Slat combinations - according to type (737 various, A318, A319, A320, A321, B757, B767, MD-80, MD-82 etc.). On occasion the Flt Crew are only aware of the actual setting, and/or make the setting, 30s before takeoff commences

NoD