PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAMS and why they need to be checked....
Old 7th Sep 2008, 17:14
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP

1. The AIS site being a bit impenetrable ?

Agreed. I've been sent a draft of the new user guide and have provided my comments back to AIS.

2. With a small amount of software development the whole site could be much easier to use ?

I suspect you are confusing the data with the software that is used to present it. The content and format of the data is laid down in Annex 15 of the Chicago convention. UK AIS cannot change it. The format is not designed for anything other than a textual presentation. It would in any case be courting disaster to provide anything other than the originator's text (i.e. to change wot he wrote). If you have a good idea please share it with us. I'll be happy to put you in touch with the right people and, with my AOPA hat on to support you if you have something workable.

3. Not having NOTAMs arrive as black text on white background, but with some sort of colour key would help ?

Colour key is a possibility. How would you envisage it working? It's when you get to the nitty gritty that it gets tricky, particularly when you try to cater for briefings stuck on the wall having been printed on a mono laser. The market is of course entirely open to commercial providers to deliver alternative presentations if they want to. The fact that there is no stampede to do so perhaps indicates something.

4. The "golden ones" immediately coming out to criticise ?

You flatter me.

5. Or the bit I was being facetious and mentioned 50 pages of NOTAMs ?!

If you're going to be facetious I do wish you'd warn me. I'm a bear of very little brain. As I said 3 pages is about the norm. Anyone wading through 50 pages has done something badly wrong.

Calling me sunshine doesn't help. I think we had all of 10 seconds of it in Pompey this afternoon.

Mike