PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2008, 11:24
sispanys ria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do not post your background in order for we experienced heavy jet pilots to accord appropriate weight to your comments.
As you are an experienced heavy jet pilot you should be able to read my words and understand their technical meaning without needing my CV.

I'm not discussing the crew actions. They are what they are but some lessons could be learned from these actions, should we have proper information. Unfortunately I could only find 2 sentences about these actions in this report following 9 months of investigations.

As you are an experienced heavy jet pilot please elaborate on how stalling an heavy jet 170 ft above the ground under AP and with retracting flaps is a skilled maneuver as to decide to let the AP try to follow a glide which is leading far beyond the runway threshold.

For the flaps, your heavy jet will certainly have less drag at 25 than 30, provided that you increase the speed (since your AP is following the glide slope). If you don't increase the speed to balance the loss of lift, you will need to increase the AOA and your nose up heavy jet will probably generate more induced drag than you could save with your 5 degrees flaps retraction. Anyway, in order to extend engine out landing distances, full flaps should be used for the final flare.

Do I need to be a NASA test pilot to expect you to consider my words ?