PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2008, 06:46
CecilRooseveltHooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does make me mad that they have to be so picky about putting out an impeccable and good looking report that it takes them for freeking ever to make when, with the information they have already, they could easily by now, only a few weeks after the accident, put out a WHOLE LIST OF LIKELY SCENARIOS that may or MAY NOT have been the cause of this accident but that MAY shed light on THEORETICAL but plausible situations on how it could've been.

But no. They have to be 99.999% sure of the cause of the accident even if it takes them 2 years and they have to produce all the pretty pictures and review all the information from every source and every blueprint from every manufacturer.

Meanwhile, 2 years down the road, another airplane falls victim of the same (or similar) cause.

Reports HAVE to be both, fast and accurate. Since they usually can not be both things at the same time, PRELIMINARY INNACCURATE REPORTS should be made available, just detailing that those are not PROVEN FACTS YET and reminding that it's all speculative until a final report comes out.

But keeping NEAR TOTAL TIGHT-LIP SILENCE for 2 years and then detailing to the last tiny fact exactly what happened in 100 pages when actually 4 paragraphs are enough in most cases, is NOT the best way to conduct this investigation "business".

So yes. I do blame the CIAIAC lack of preliminary and constant information for contributing to this or other (potential, theoretical, speculative) cause for the accident.

Because I knew about OE-LMM first hand, I always wanted to find out what caused that near catastrophy. It had to be through an informal forum like this and over 1 year later that I have finally reached "peace" with myself on the (likely) cause.

And I applaud the idea of cabin crew checking for visual wing configuration and function early on take-off. After all, they are familiar with the aircraft and their lives are at stake as much as anyone elses and perhaps a call on their side alerting the cockpit of potential problems could be valuable, if indeed a number of "false alarms" are bound to happen (better safe than sorry).
justme, sadly this is somewhat a product of my homeland's litigious society. There are huge claims to be paid, and anything short of a final and correct report is unacceptable. There is probably already a 'hearse chaser' offering to file suit against Spanair, Boeing, AENA, city of Madrid etc based on a WSJ article or a 'killer ravine'....