PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2400 hrs SO or FO
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 18:34
IRISHinUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that's interesting, however, talking with a few buddies in the same situation as me it seems most are typically just focused on DEFO because we believe we could be based closer to home rather than having to live in Hong Kong rather than the actual salary. Are any commutable schedules available as SO? By that I mean a week off in the middle of the month or something like that? Does CX provide free travel systemwide for pilots?

The other problem is that right now many of us are senior FOs/ junior CAs on RJs/Tprops and so are building reasonably good quality flight time at the rate of 900 hours a year (or so) that will be valuable if one of our favourite national airlines (enter your own preference here) ever decides to start hiring again. I'm not even 100% sure what kind of time (e.g. average in a year) an SO gets to log?

I suppose it depends on whether you would consider Cathay for a career or not. The way things are going (in the US, at least) it might very well be the preferable option.