PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vista and XP Dual Boot?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 17:53
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
While playing with my first Vista on a Fujitsu C2 Duo Centrino 2gig ram laptop, I set about trying to get more space on C: drive with the partition program that came with the OS.

I managed to reduce the large D: drive, but still could not expand C:

While I was doing this, I discovered a 'secret drive' that clearly contained OS files. It appeared to be 'above' C:

All did not go well with my efforts.

According to my pal...(lifetime on mainframes) It seems that I 'lifted' D: up from the bottom, rather than 'lowering' it from the top, Another analogy would be: Doing this, left the C:drive lower boundary against the D: drive top end...if you know what I mean. Anyway, I couldn't get more than about 150 gigs out of a 250 gig drive. A preposterous waste.

(I had a deal with Staples that I could return it since the box was opened when I got it. I did so...for no other reason that the keyboard was English, and I have used American layouts for 15 years and found the change very tedious.) I was very sorry to see it go, in all other respects it was superb with 4 1/2 hours of battery life seeming a reality.

BTW, back in Texas, I went to several of the main stores. Nothing, but nothing compares with the English deal at c two buck to the pound, given that VAT was included in the sub £400 price.

My (professor) son here has been alloted a Toshiba running Vista. He has considerable experience with computers, but has dis pared of this purchase. He accepted the name and the vendor's name as an indication that it should run okay. Its one gig of ram is perhaps the reason that One could take a lunch break while things load. I'm going to offer to put XP on it.

As for loading XP. I'll start another thread because there is a major legal issue that I want to address.