PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 16:39
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By November , the weather was becoming colder, so we changed into our standard R.A.F uniforms complete with collar and black tie , and a bit later, wore our greatcoats and woollen gloves. We considered our uniforms inferior, but warmer than our American friends, but I was quite surprised when traveling on a bus, away from Ponca. A lady sat down next to me and said “ Gee, that’s a smart uniform, are you a mail carrier or something ? When I said I was in the R.A.F. it was question after question all the way. For the jokers amongst you. No. She was a very mature lady. At least thirty years old, and got off the bus telling all and sundry how it was the smartest uniform she had ever seen.

Flying continued with more navigation cross country exercises. One of these was with Hardy navigating and me flying . By this time I had developed my own method of landing when solo. Instead of throttling back at the correct point , and gliding in, to touch down accurately just inside the boundary without touching the throttle I found an easier method. .This involved approaching on the base, and final leg using the throttle to regulate my height,. When near touch down I would have a bit of throttle on, and be a bit higher than usual, then slowly pull back the throttle , when the aircraft would gently sink onto the ground. Producing a nice wheel landing. On this occasion, and after a very pleasant three hundred mile exercise we approached the airfield, just about to touch down Hardy said “you are too high.” and pushed his stick forward, I replied “no I am not” and pulled mine back. Whilst this discussion progressed, the A.T.6 landed without help from either of us, tipped over on one wing and performed the classic ground loop. We were told we were very naughty boys, and not to do it again. But I decided I would never try to correct another pilots actions in the future. This decision resulted in another faux pas during a two thousand mile final cross country exam. (more later warts and all).

One of our oppos was the son of Lord X and told us , one night in the billets, he had performed a slow roll at 1000’ although we had as yet to perform this manoeuvre . Not to be outdone, I decided to try it the next day. Fortunately I tried it at three thousand feet, when I checked my altimeter I found I had lost a thousand feet. I decided to wait for instruction and after a few attempts managed .to .maintain altitude, and roll round a horizontal axis.

` Lectures continued whenever we were not flying but with emphasis on air to ground , air to air , fixed gunnery. Plus attack and evasion, when it was pointed out that pilots instinctly broke away to the left when being pursued, so break away to the right. Also to attack down sun and up moon. We were told we would shortly be flying, using a camera, and the 100 m.p.h reflector gun sight.

I will attempt to reproduce my brief notes below to give you some idea of what was involved, but must point out these are brief, where each line represents , some considerable explanation and discussion Constant questions on enemy aircraft wing spans. Max speeds , how many gun sight rings for different speeds .gravity drop., wing span, and angle off.

Hope to go onto night flying training when I have recovered.

GONE FOR A BURTON.

A.K.A K.I.A`

I have just found out I can increase print size by thumping CTRL + When viewing this.