PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World Helicopter Championships 2008
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 15:16
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whc 2008

Ref the WHC event at Eisenach ... The September issue of LOOP will cover the event as a report. The Brit team did especially well to get a third place always bearing in mind the Ruskies are virtually unbeatable in all the tests and have been since I first took part in 1973!

My article will say that in one section, the Russians were scoring 299 points out of a maximum of 300. You can't get a lot more perfect than that!

Our two ladies did us really proud so read the LOOP article for four pages of info and pictures.

A major difficulty is the Russian team treat the event as a military task and at a guess, I'd say they spend perhaps four or five times airborne practice as is possible for a UK team.

The odd thing is that the WHC event never seems to attract the right number of countries. No Yanks, Far East, Ozmen or Afica. A few years back the Americans did come over but it seems that since any available sponsorship is minimal ... location costs become prohibitive. All a bit sad, because to see fifty or sixty different make helicopters in one place at a competitive event makes for a great helicopter occasion and watching the Russian pilots slickly manoeuvre the clunky old Mil 2s around and through the various 'gates' always makes me wonder how they fly so well.

For some reason the 'Freestyle' doesn't attract a worthwhile entry at all. Seldom more than a dozen, and just 4 at Eisenach. Why? The event is open to any pilot, anywhere in the world.

Quentin Smith and myself have been the only civvy Brits that have participated in any of the last eight events, plus the serviceman Andy Berryman (gazelle) a few years back.

The next 'worlds' are in Russia 2011. If I'm still on my perch, I'd like to have another good go ... so how about some of you guys out there with access to the right heli, thinking right now about preparing a good Brit entry. Let's make it a real World Championship event for once.

While on the site, a really big thanks for all the wellwishers following my daft episode in Utah. The fall-out was that the long time insurers were not able to offer display cover for my WHC 2008 entry, hence the last minute change of heli type.

Nevertheless, a great experience flying over what was once Russian 'Cold War' territory ... plus the huge Beers they served outside the team hotel in Eisenach!

Safe flying to all.

Dennis Kenyon.