PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Pilots License/IMC and PPL Theory
Old 6th Sep 2008, 12:03
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IO540

"Remember that GA is a new concept to Greece, where the only flying generally recognised is military and commercial! People flying for fun???? What's that then???? "

That's very inaccurate. There is a healthy GA scene in Greece, though - as with much of southern Europe - running at around 1-2% of the activity in the busiest bit of Europe (the UK). It could be a lot bigger, especially given the obvious utility value in Greece.
My bad! Fair point, I shouldn't have used the word 'new', more like 'fairly uncommon', this being based on the recent AOPA articles, to quote:

"The idea of an air show is foreign to most Greeks - planes are either military, in which case you don't go near them, or civilian, in which case you get into them to go on holiday. The idea of flying for yourself simply doesn't cross most Greek minds"

"GA has been ignored by the public, the government and the authorities".

"Greece has a long way to go but it has taken the first and most important steps"

The articles, whilst admittedly very positive for future intentions and developments, which I wholeheartedly support, seem to indicate that there is indeed a long way to go but this shouldn't deter the HCAA and national AOPA from making in-roads to welcome, seduce even, the aviation training industry and students into its airspace and country with its wonderful islands, climate, food, beaches and warm, welcoming people. The same articles report GA hours increasing by 50% last year, which is an excellent move. I just hope other countries support their moves without it becoming overly bueaucratic.....or am I hoping for too much there?