PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Golden Nose Wheels
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 11:45
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gloucester Staverton 09/27 (and 04/22 to an extent) - rather bumpy and undulating. The kind people there usually only charge me one landing fee despite my repeated touchdowns on the rollout.

Wombleton N Yorks - used to be piles of Neeps and Tatties on the runways to slalom around and then more than a few boulders and potholes especially on the "out" runways. (Not to mention the high trees on the approach!)

White Waltham, also a little mountainous.

Compton Abbas, need oxygen to get over some of the bumps at the end of the runway.

The prize winner for me is Eshott in Northumberland where I once had a propeller blade suddenly become 3" shorter after my nosewheel went into an enormous pothole in the middle of the runway and my prop clearance suddenly became minus 3 inches. This was during the takeoff roll - I felt the wheel go into the hole, heard a bang and thought it was the nose tyre blowing, the prop remained attached and didn't vibrate excessively, I only really spotted the damage that the geordie pothole had inflicted on me when I got home - That was an expensive day out.

As if aviation isn't hazardous enough.

SB