PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick living
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 09:54
Air.Farce.1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest financial problem moving from Manch to Scotland is the fall in house prices in England and the fact that prices in Scotland are just peaking now.
If your home in Manchester was worth £400,000 last year, it is now worth about £360,000, and will be worth about £325,000 this time next year( 4 months before PC opens). If house prices had continued to rise over this 2 year period instead of falling, your property would have been worth £480,000 in September 2009. That's a loss of £155,000. That is if you can sell your house!
The days of swapping your 4 bed detached in England for a castle in Scotland are well and truly over now.
If it was me, I would rent until the recession is over, hopefully sooner than later. ( assuming negative growth over two consecutive quarters)

Another possible issue is the Local income Tax (3-5 %)which the SNP are trying to introduce. A double income ATCO salary would equate to an anual bill of about £6,000 in "Council Tax" irrespective of whether you live in a castle or a tent
NATS sorry "nats" ( another Barron great idea) would be better spending money on additional relocation packages to have sufficient staff to man PC , rather than "beer and curry" love in sessions in Glasgow followed by "rope swinging -we are all part of the same team " antics in the Lake District. Incidentally I believe we are now called Team "A" and "B" according to the latest training announcement

Last edited by Air.Farce.1; 8th Sep 2008 at 08:19.