PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview Questions from Hell
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 09:27
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've head of a strange one doing the rounds at a well known lo-co carrier's assessment day:

You are in a twin engined a/c on take off and experience an EFATO. Would you prefer the wind to come from the dead side or the live side? Why?

Now, I've asked many pepole this Q to find out what they think. They have ranged to type rated FO's to ATPL lecturers to Wannabes. Pretty much everyone has a different take on this.

I also believe they try and change your mind once you have given your answer and it all starts to get a bit messy.

I think the answer is from the dead side as this will help you maintain R/W track (opposing the asymetric yaw).

However, some say that this will make you loose rudder authority as you had to use rudder on the TO roll to counter the X-wind. My counter to this is that once airbourne, you use neutral rudder anyway and counter the x-wind with a change of heading. So you are back to full rudder authority. Besides, by definition, you have rotated above Vmca so are guaranteed enough rudder authority no matter what.

I wouldn't put my house on my answer though! I can also see that it can get a bit messy with a rather confused looking candidate looking at the ceiling!

EK