PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 09:21
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to PASSENGER in BACK

I was deadheading on a 737...short taxi, we were on the runway and the flaps were not set.

I knew that if I heard the takeoff warning, the pilots would catch it. BUT IF IT DIDN"T GO OFF, I was prepared to run to the cockpit door and bang on it like HELL.

OF course I was in my pilot uniform and that would have helped matters. The horn went off, the flaps came down and I yelled at the pilots at the destination. IDIOTS!

I know of one case in which the spoilers deployed on landing of a 737 and when the handle was moved to retract them, the cable broke...so the handle moved to the correct spot, the light that said the spoilers were extended went out BUT THE SPOILERS WERE STILL EXTENDED. It was missed onthe walk around...but some guys in back on the next flight, deadheading noticed and stopped the takeoff in time...THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO WARNING.

WHILE it takes bravery to speak up to avoid a disaster (capt. smith, don't you think these icebergs could pose a problem?), you must be brave and speak up if you :

1. know something about planes

2. see something wrong.

A passenger noted something wrong with our flaps on landing...we extended them at the gate and wow, was there something wrong!!! grounded!

There are some planes that don't use flaps for takeoff...so please know your stuff.