PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met not fit for purpose!
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 08:55
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps that is the real problem.

Remember that we are required to take the most up to date information to ensure that the flight can be undertaken safely - Met included.

Using the morning TAF/METRS/Airmet/F215/F214/length of seaweed etc, you can launch off into conditions that a later forecast determines to be unsafe.

And vice versa, but the vice versa seems to be more common.

In the type of flying I normally do, there is often not an opportunity to get an up-to-date forecast for the return trip, say 2 hours duration, so the morning forecast is almost invariably been replaced by a more current one.

My way around this is to call the home base for the latest TAFs at a couple of local airfields and current conditions at the site.

What I don't get with that are the general conditions en route.

At one event on the 12th July, there was a particularly nasty area of Prob 30 showers that merged into a band of continuous heavy rain and cloud on the deck - remember RIAT?

Either side of that area the weather was pretty good, but it was certainly 'exciting' finding a way through. Thank goodness someone on the ground had a smartphone where he could monitor the rainfall radar which showed where the worst bits had been and the clearer areas. Perhaps I ought to get myself an iPhone and use it as an on-board weather radar...

Actually, I never ignore Prob 30s but always take them into account and look to see whether the forecast fits.

In my gliding days, we had a bl**dy good metman who brought the subject to life. He taught us to use forecasts and to plan our tasks within the limits of the weather.

On the other hand, certainly at my local flying club, many power pilots plan a specific trip for a purpose, and look to see if the weather is ok for that trip. If not they will cancel. They don't even bother to see if there is a perfectly acceptable alternative flight.