PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 00:42
Nov71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 2 colleagues-
1. Jim, Welsh caucasian, born in India to english parents whilst father based in India.
2. Raj, born in UK to Indian parents with UK passports
Invariably, Jim was 'checked' by passport control, whilst Raj was not, based on place of birth!

To fly inside the UK I prefer to carry a £7 CitizenCard, rather than my more valuable passport, as my only available photo ID. It is accepted as proof of ID for opening bank accounts & proof of age (50+) It will suffice until eligible for a free bus pass next year.
It seems military ID (eg F1250) may give you access to bases covered by the Official Secrets Act but not a budget hotel room in Woking.

As a free-born citizen I was incensed to be asked for photo ID to fly within my own Country, when I could travel overland without hindrance.
Work-related Security ID I can accept but not one linked to my life history!
If 'papers' are demanded, I think I still have my post-war ID card.

The proposed Childrens' database should also be resisted, as should the DNA database for arrested but not convicted suspects.

I predict the first forged UK ID card will be circulating within weeks of the first compulsory card, which the Govt promised would not be before 2010-15?

Sorry if this is thread creep.