PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Awesome Tornado flypast
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 23:32
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Funnily enough Skye's exactly the place my wife and kids had their best Tornado moment. Walking across the Skye Bridge they were buzzed by a pair of IV Sqn jets from Lossie (yes, she stunned herself by by relating all that info to me, far to much time spent at Lossie, says she). Apparently the jets had swooped up the Sound of Sleat fast enough and low enough to impress and to show off the big white Roman numerals on the fin. The three of them were buzzing about it even an hour later when they met up with me again (I'd had a business call in Kylekin). A perfect day and a perfect sight. So, if that was you one glorious day in July about ten years ago, many thanks.
When did IV (4) Sqn start operating Tonka's from Lossie???? News to me (and the rest of the free world) Try XV (15) Sqn (IV Sqn have operated Harriers for most of my lifetime).

As for the Flak being thrown at Ratman, I will inform the Snipers of a few facts. The guy does have TWO AOC 1 Group commendations (both work related, not for secondary duty stuff), Did an excellent Sqn history a few years back, plus managed the production of it and got the sponsorship to get it produced out of Wasteofspace (a good six months work in three). Threw a very good history of a type being retired together in a few weeks and managed the production of it by the graphics people at Northolt. Has had an article published in one of the major aviation magazines. Has designed Sqn markings and had his name on the side of a rather specially painted aircraft, the same size as that of the pilot! Most of this work came about though this little thing called research (though he did have a little help from the members here and elsewhere on the type history). I don’t think he will have any problems getting work outside of the RAF with his skills and talents (I can't remember how many GEMs awards he has got, but its more than one).

As for the lad who started this thread, This is how you do it. I would like to thank the front-seater in the rear aircraft of the loose formation of two 72 Sqn Tucanos (didn’t have to use Google, because I know most of the Sqn markings used in the Royal Air Force at this time, though had I not known what a blue bar with a red boarder on the roundel stood for (along with the white arrowhead with a blue swift on it on the tail), I could have very easily looked it up on the internet) while in a very steep bank (wings almost vertical (again you will find all of the terms required via Google, if you bother to look)) who waved back to me while doing an inforced Adventure training (a big hazard of working in a Joint Service environment) hill walk on in the Lake District (general area of the main peak of Helvvellyn (exact location is important)) at around 12:00 on 11 Jun 2008 (as is timings, if you wish to find the information your looking for (Some spotter can then help you answer your question, attention to detail is most important). The only military aircraft I saw, bar a Leaping Heap miles away the same day in three days of hard walking, which I didn’t volunteer to do!!!

By the way, Ratman is leaving the armed forces for very vaild reasons, that are of his concern only.

Last edited by MAINJAFAD; 5th Sep 2008 at 23:43.