PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Genius thought it would be a good idea to use touch-screens in headrests
Old 5th Sep 2008, 17:53
gdiphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apaddyinuk - LOL indeed. I find myself despairing at times but laughing at myself for putting myself in the position of travelling by air in Y these day. Just think about the changes I've seen since 1962 when I first started flying as SLF. First the introduction of computers to check people in. In 1978 I remember being asked to checkin one hour before takeoff. Never missed a flight, checkin was quick, very quick indeed. Then along came entertainment in the form of screens at the end of the cabin. Now cabin crew started demanding the blinds down so we can't see the view. Then intensive security causing delays, stress, rudeness on the part of everyone. Then the reduction of seat pitch from a sensible 34" to 31" or less on mainline carriers. To help with the discomfort of passengers on demand entertainment with boxes at one's feet. Now we have touch screens to annoy the person in front. Not long before mobiles going off as standard. A superb, easy, comfortable and fascinating way to travel ruined systematically over the years. I can only hope someone will charge passengers for everything as UA seems to be going. With a bit of luck everyone will be charged money for the use of the entertainment system and people will wise up and not pay it. Then hopefully airlines will remove the lot as not being cost effective and we can have some old fashioned conversation with our neighbours, the blinds up, and some legroom under the seat in front.

As for fewer places to get to I have to disagree. I have discovered the delights of seatravel over the past four years. It is truely wonderful, hassle free with friendly people everywhere. And what is more the boats go all over the world.

Ah well, whinge over, off to Bogota in Y travelling with AA. I wonder what they will do to me........?

Moira - Thank you for the information.