PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 15:09
phil gollin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feathers :

I like cake!

On the assumption that a similar ice/fuel mixture was present, then the fuel flow that could pass the obstruction would be limited by the consistency of the ice and the throat area it is trying to pass. This will be the same in both engines (although perhaps there is a 'handedness' to the fuel piping, I do not know).

Not as much as me (I) !

The reproduceable result (IF I have read correctly) was a 95% reduction in the area before the valve. Somehow this occured in two separate systems at different times, but to the same effect. Somehow the UNKNOWN ice phenonomen managed to be dissimilar in the two systems enough to affect the valves at slightly different times, but to near-enough the same extent. (N.B. there is a possibility NOT NOTED IN THE REPORT that the 95% figure has a large margin of error - but ??????)

Still dissatisfied.

Well, the latter statement is quite correct, and you will see that AAIB are saying that an urgent investigation into precisely that condition is needed, it clearly isn't just a Trent issue it's just that the one instance so far happened to be on a Trent-powered airframe.

As for the reproducibility, yes, so far they have shown that a problem is seen in circumstances not that alike to the real fuel system. More work is to be carried out to improve the test to mimic reality better. They may not succeed, but they have to try.

The ultimate mimic though would be a 12 hour flight from China in similar TAT conditions and flight profile with the same approach clearances, descent rates, power profiles. If they are lucky they get to see it happen again, but maybe this time with a 777 embedded in Hatton Cross tube station.

The other thing to note, they state quite clearly that very little is known about the precise effects of ice in fuel under varying circumstances. So a major research task would be called for to understand it better, that will take time.

Do you feel that it wasn't ice? Because there surely are precious few other culprits lurking.

I still see no reason why ALL 777s aren't affected by the AAIB report.

I am dissatisfied because the report is NOT stating anything firm (both icing scenarios proposed are left dangling) - they are merely grasping the reproduceability of the 95% blockage causing cavitation. They have got a "one" and a "one" and made "ten" because the other eight parts of the puzzle are still to be found.