PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long shot - found log book
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 13:45
no-aitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long shot - found log book

The longest of long shots, but this forum is probably as good a place to start as any. Sorting through a bundle of donations to the Oxfam bookshop (Berkshire) where I volunteer, I found a WW2 RAF F1767 (flying log for navs, air bombers, AGs and flt engs) for Lt (A) L G Frost RNVR. The log seems to be a continuation document as none of the preamble pages are completed and the accumulated total after the first page is 542 hrs. It starts on 8 Jul 44 with a Dakota flight starting in Colombo with P/O Miles as pilot which ends on 10 Jul at Hendon via Bombay, Bahrein, Tripoli and Gib. With time at NOTU Crail, mostly with a Lt Rutherford as pilot, thence to 736 Sqn st Merryn, 818 Sqn Crimond, and 735 Sqn Burscough (Jun 1945) the log's final entry on 818 Sqn RNAS Fearn is for 30 Jul 45 with a total of 719 hrs 45 mins and the remark: 'Hit flock of seagulls; 3 confirmed.' The list on the last page of ac flown ranges from the Proctor to the Avenger. If anyone has any connection with the log, please pm me. I would hate to think it had been donated by mistake; I would never part with my own grandfather's WW1 log book.