PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 12:33
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you wings1011. That clears up a lot of questions I had related to my post:

http://www.pprune.org/4370893-post1443.html

Again, warning everyone that this is just "rumors" I'm talking about here and that I have NO specific knowledge on the aviation industry, it seems that another sign of these types of WOW sensor related malfunctions is, as described, automated flight control systems ("computers") may "act weird" when they receive grossly (over the limit) temperature readings from the outside air temperature sensor (due, i.e., to the heater being on while on ground for a long time on a hot day).

The first reports that I heard is that the pilots "felt" like the engines were "accelerating and deccelerating" erratically-quickly during take off (a real bad time for this to happen). At first, it was thought it could've been some malfunction with the autothrottler, it was rumored.

Wings1011 explanations makes it all look much clearer now. Is there a way to check what the probe's reading is in the cabin? If so, a sanity check could also be a good idea?

Obvioulsy the Spanair pilots noticed either the "impossible" temperature reading or some other sign that made them know there was something wrong with the "heat probe".

In other, more automated airplanes, like I think some airbusses may be, what would happen if an automation-assisted take off is attempted and an air temperature probe gives, due to a malfunction, a temperature reading of say 8º when the actual temperature is 28º?