PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 10:54
mattman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I myself, as many other guys here, have flown for the UN under contract in this region. Out of all the African contracts I have done I regard the Eastern Congo one of the most dangerous flying areas I have ever experienced.

Having lived and worked out of Goma, I have had the privileged of experiencing some of the biggest convective build ups that I have ever witnessed. These storms build to such intensity and the energy produced will scare any aviator.
The high ground coupled with the weather has taken far too many lives in this area. We tried to push the introduction of EGPWS, and we were shut down.

Having done the flight assement of the GNSS approaches myself for the UN, dont try Bukavu unless you are well familiar with approach and have equipment and training. I was one of the few we voiced our concern over.

All I can say to the guys and girls that are there or are going there, don’t push this place don’t push the mountains and don’t push the weather take the bollocking and divert back.

R.I.P my friends