PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 05:17
phil gollin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feathers ;

I have to say that I can't see that there is much difference in reality, six or seven seconds can be accounted for by a slightly different amount of ice (in some form) being present and the 'detaching' behaviour of that accumulated ice by the slightly different fuel flows noted in each engine. .........

......... Let's face it, it has been shown that ice is the only remaining possibility, and how else can such a restriction occur other than that some form of solidified ice arrives at a constricted area in high concentration, overwhelming the ability of the fluid part of the flow to pass at sufficient rate.

But this is like having your cake and eating it.

The engines had their commands at the same time, but the roll-backs occured at slightly different times, HOWEVER the effect on final thrust was almost exactly the same.

You say "ice is the only remaining possibility" - but this is what annoys me. They can only reproduce one aspect (the cavitation damage) but without any real expalantion (the two icing scenarios are not really supported by the report) so grasp that one straw. If they could reproduce the icing that leads to the cavitation damage AND show that that icing condition can be variable in time but not effect - THEN they would have something that would convince me.

Don't get me too wrong, as a cautious warning (as opposed to a "finding") I would be happy, but fail to see why this mysterious icing wouldn't affect 777s powered by other types of engines.