PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ctaf 126.7
Thread: Ctaf 126.7
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 02:49
elcap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find that people entering a quiet CTAF with no one but themselves often clog the system by making all the calls. Often you hear: 30nm inbound call, 10nm call, joining circuit, downwind, base, final, late final, back tracking, landed and clear! All these calls clog up the CTAF in areas where there are alot of ALAs around.

Often it is easier to make the following when inbound: Inbound call at 30nm or what ever distance you use, and joining the circuit.
And calls to make when outbound: Taxi call, entering runway, and departure

The only extra calls that need to be made is when a possible conflict arises. E.g. you made a you inbound call at 30nm, you are now 10nm and someone has just fired up on the ground and taxing. Lets stop clogging the frequencies so people can make the calls that are needed to resolve a possible conflict.

Other pet hates is people calling for a 'full stop' in areas which are not a training aerodrome. E.g. Broome, Kunners, Darwin and all their surrounding ALAs. Every landing should be a full stop unless you are conducting training, and if that is a case make a 'touch and go' call! Say if your flying down at Jandakot, Bankstown, Archerfield etc, since they are training aerodromes then make or 'full stop' or 'touch and go' call as required. You don't hear the airliners coming into airports makeing 'tocuh and go' calls do you??

One more issue before I get off my soapbox. Traffic on conflicting headings but with a 1000' seperation. Often in Darwin, Broome, and Kunners people are going out and coming back on conflicting tracks but with a 1000' speration. Why do so many pilots think that this is a conflict and have to make numerous calls with a distence from somehwere until they have the other aircraft sighted and are clear?? Isn't that what the whole point of having the 1000' seperation is so that you are clear?? The only time there will be a conflict on conflicting tracks is when on aircraft is descending into a aerodrome while the other is climbing out and they are going to go through each others altitiude at some stage!

Stepping down now