PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asymetric Thrust
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 00:49
krujje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[...] only catastrophic if the problem is not identified as such, the very remote event of an uncommanded TR deployment.
I would say that point is debatable. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no requirement to prove that uncommanded TR deployment at take-off is controllable, therefore airframers don't... preferring, as I said, to show 10-9 instead. Is there proof through test or analysis that the event is controllable in all normal take-off scenarios? If yes, does it hold for all modern aircraft, or only certain types?

With hindsight, a Fokker 100 (TAM flight 402) accident on Oct. 31, 1996 could have been prevented if the crew had identified the problem to be an uncommanded #2 TR deployment.
Can we really say that the accident could have been prevented had the crew known what the problem was? I think that that may venture too far into speculation. Although I say this not having read the report. I have only a cursory knowledge of the circumstances of the accident (I have not been able to find an english translation of the official report.)