PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 4th Sep 2008, 20:53
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
night fr8,

You seem to forget the fact what people moan about is SSTR paid for and done right after CPL/ME IR. Without any job secured. As a "standard prerequisite".
I and surely many others don't find anything rotten about lower salary for couple years (on bond) to indirectly pay for the TR. That way it can also be pre-tax, right? That's how it should be. Not purely free type rating..

Nobody says the playing field would ever be equal.
As if it's not hard enough for most to get enough funding for CPL/fATPL.
This plague of too many folks firing out CVs with SSTR does place quality dedicated fresh CPL to background. Or this UK/Irish wave of SSTR guys possibly threatening smaller aviation markets (where some only ever achieve dreams thanks to towing gliders)

Ghost Rider,
Well, that guy with rich daddies didn't want their cash. How honourable.
I bet he'd keep such high morals and ideals if he wouldn't have been allowed to join CTC scheme and thus securing hefty loan thanks to it. Or no reasonable loan given his circumstances.

I bet he'd happily work away saving all by himself for his own dreams for couple/many years (depending on his income etc). He'd be happy doing modular slowly and after a year or so happy that he didn't go modular when he could have been flying jets or big TPs already (in those days job climate) and rather work extra late shift/giving up holidays and waiting for his usual Cessna treatment on weekend.
OH YEAH.

ALL WE CAN DO IS TO WATCH ENOUGH SSTR GUYS CRASH AND BURN WITH HEFTY LOANS, NOT MANY EASY A320/B737 JOBS FOR THEM NOW. And let the rest take it as warning. PPRuNe with shiny success stories of the minority may not be enough even then. How many of us alway heeded parents warnings and suggestions (not always best but meant with best intent)? That'll stay similar.