PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met not fit for purpose!
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 19:45
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose

I'll check my logbook for the date, but the TAFs on one day in July for EGTE started off with frontal rain due through around 10.00Z. The 1019 TAF put it back to around 1300Z and and by the 1622 TAF to 20.00Z. The rain arrrived around 22.00Z.

I can appreciate that these indicate a slowing of the weather systems, but the day was perfectly good for flying and (on the basis of the morning TAFs and BBC weather forecast) a number of students phoned up to cancel.

Similarly on Saturday last week at EGTE, the forecast showed poorish visibility, but not the low cloud we had around the airfield.

We are in a credit crunch affecting a lot of people, and they are not going to waste money on petrol getting to the airfield if there is a risk they won't be flying.

Our local schools are tearing their hair out trying to keep going, but they have lost a number of possible days of flying because students and hirers believe the forecasts.

Oh, and the cloud on hills bit is in the Airmet part of the Met Office site. It is just so strange to see CAVOK or SKC throughout the region, but with Cloud on Hills in every one I've ever seen.