PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 18:39
Fitter2

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
The ruffling of feathers appears to be mutual.

I could pull up my flight planning software and route Biggin-Farnborough almost all in controlled airspace , and nowhere en-route would you be likely to encounter a glider cloud flying. There is also virtually no chance of that risk anywhere near Londonderry. By understanding how airspace is used, and the densities of traffic of each sort, I am content that I am operating with minimal risk to myself and others. One could point out that much of the military traffic that does fly in IMC until recently did not carry any equipment compatible with civilian TCAS/TPAS systems, usually was operating to a separate control system (yes, the systems do communicate but airprox reports indicate that misunderstandings do arise) and arguably posed a much greater risk to non-controlled airspace traffic.

If we all learn more about how each sector of the aviation community operates, then misunderstanding is less likely to arise. We might even agree on measures to reduce accidents which demonstrably do occur.

Last edited by Fitter2; 4th Sep 2008 at 18:40. Reason: I must learn to spell.........