PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shipboard Rolling Vertical Landing - The saviour of Dave-B?
Old 4th Sep 2008, 18:16
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

The UK position on STOVL vs. CV is, I absolutely agree, less clear than it could, or should, be. I'd expect a more positive posture soon in response to the JSFPO's request for firm commitments to production numbers.

The UK's B order is important, but the fact is that if it doesn't technically work for the UK, it wouldn't for the USMC. If the UK cancelled for another reason, the USMC would still, in my view, get their Bs. They are absolutely committed to the project, and their track record shows that when they want a piece of kit, they usually get it.

Auto landings - I'll repeat my thoughts. The USN are developing, testing and qualifying F-35C to fit in with their recovery CONOPS, which call for a primary ability to land the thing manually, with JPALS (Joint Precision Approach and Landing System) as a 'recovery aid'. USN is using existing ACLS more than it did before as amount of night flying goes up, but mostly as an aid to glide slope acquisition and initial lineup - I am told almost all landings are still manual to allow pilots to retain their deck proficiency ratings.

In my view, the chances of JSF going to auto-land as a primary recovery mode to the deck are slim. Chances of the USN drawing down on landing training and relying on it are almost nil. If the UK wanted to go against that policy, there would be big money involved.

Still a good thread, this one....

Best regards as ever

Engines