PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Pilot IFR
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 17:28
radarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off sick at the moment, and unable to check the various ATC bibles. However, it is certainly 'best practice' for ATC not to pass clearances while aircraft are taxying, for the simple reason that pilots are engaged in a multitude of tasks involved with preparing for flight. Same goes for passing instructions on final approach. Why don't you ask for your clearance early in the start-up procedure while still on stand? Even if ATC don't have it immediately available this will give them time to obtain it and pass it to you before you start moving. At my unit we ask all pilots if they are ready to copy clearances. Gives the pilot a chance to say 'Standby, call you back in a minute', and avoids having to repeat the message later.

Sounds a bit as though controllers at your unit are bullying you into taking clearances when you are not ready. Don't forget that ATC is a service, and you are the customer. Have you tried a liaison visit to the tower? It may be that an informal chat with the controllers will enable both sides to see the problems and come to an amicable solution.

Last edited by radarman; 4th Sep 2008 at 17:31. Reason: Wojtus and Eastern beat me to it on a couple of my points.