PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 16:55
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Bear

If I were to call for an air traffic service, I have the choice of 3 radar services or calling Goodwood and Shoreham for FIS. I guess I would be expected to call each as I work my way from west to east then the same on the return leg. Say I start at Butser hill, I guess I would be expected to talk to Solent as they have radar and traffic and would like to know something about my movements. Then 5 min later call Good wood as they might have traffic in the area. Then I guess a LARS unit, then before passing through the extended c/l I should be talking to Shoreham and so on.
Dont bother with all that - do me a favour and just tell Farnborough - one call.

They are the only one who are going to provide a LARS along any of the route (Solent arent interested, other than possibly at the very western edge if you were inside CAS, and you would need to talk to them anyway in that case, Gatwick are even less interested).

Anyone with any sense enroute along the South Downs in IMC will be getting a service from Farnborough. Even if it is too busy for Farnborough to provide a RIS they will warn us about glider traffic along the south downs ridge last reported at X. If I know you are there I will arrange my flight to be above or below you in VMC if I can and I certainly will not be going through any Cu just in case.