PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 4th Sep 2008, 12:45
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
night fr8,
Sorry, but totally disagree. The truth is if no rookie was prepared to do SSTR companies would eventually have to pay for it again and that's why people doing it ruin the market and our reputation. And let's face it, if you bring the cash and somewhat motivation you will end up flying a jet. All you need is money, as sad as it is. As conerted_lurker quite rightly put it, by outsourcing its FOs, FR can easily lay people off whenever needed. Admittedly, this is a smart move by O'Leary but at the total expense of his newly hired FOs. Not right and that's why I have a total lack of respect for people doing SSTR and supporting this unrightful practice.

You are also being misguided in saying that there are no companies paying for the TR because they still are out there, e.g. Cityjet, FlyBe to name just a couple. I am sure there also a few GA operators paying at least the better portion of a TR.

I just wonder where this leads to, particularly when it comes to safety?! Because, and let's be honest, as a company, if you knew you as the company would have to pay for a TR would you not look at the applicant very very closely because you would want to invest into the right person? And what would you do, as a company, if you did not have to pay for the TR because the applicant pays for it himself/herself? Exactly, you would not care as much. Because at the end of the day, it's the captain who has the total responsibility over the AC, not the co. I stand to be corrected if this is total bull what I am writing here but I think I am not far off the truth.