PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st 'Outback' Flight
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 09:14
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fully aware of what others are advocating Tempo, just questioning the 'wisdom' of the advice. That's what I have a problem with. I've been flying pretty much since the 'map & matches' days the FTDK alludes to in his clever post, so have some idea of what I'm getting at here. When GPS became both widely available and affordable, one of our machines was so equipped, flew with it for a week then went out and bought my own. So you understand, this was on a route I flew probably a minimum of 4 times a day, up to 10 times or more. I found the sheer situational awareness the GPS afforded me to be absolutely invaluable, with the information presented in an intuitive, easily understood manner. I still fly with a GPS on my yoke -it's about the 3rd or 4th I've owned, and is turned on immediately after the engines are started on all my flights and goes off with the Master.

Now, in Pilotette's circumstance, we are talking about an avionics suite which has the GPS integrated into the totality of the avionics package -I don't know for sure if the GPS can be turned off, (FTDK?) and I hope I have made it plain by now, I think it would be foolish to do so. Ded-reckoning navigation is a necessary skill, which I am certain Pilotette has demonstrated competency with on the way to gaining whatever level of certificate she holds. There is absolutely no reason those ded-reckoning skills cannot be maintained and honed even whilst operating a GPS-based avionics package, or a hand-held GPS. To suggest ham-stringing yourself by disabling an extremely competent aide to satisfy some apparently macho urge is in my opinion, nonsense.