PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improve Light A/C Separation
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 08:53
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>There are a few people on this thread who are very fixed in one kind of aviation and have a very low understanding of the other branches sharing the same sky. I have no idea how to solve this, but aviation would be much stronger if we all respected our different slants on the same basic principle.<

Rod1 sharing the same sky to me means being concerned for each others safety and carrying a responsability to each other.

Gliders are different as they cannot maintain altitude and heading and as such are unique in not being able to fly IFR rules in IMC. By doing so they are at an increased risk of collision compared to those of us who are able to keep a seperation by flying IFR in Imc.

One poster said that all that kept us from a collision was the "BIG SKY" and that itself is true.
With that in mind the fewer Gliders in IMC the lower that risk the higher the numbers in IMC the higher the risk.

What you are saying is that we all have a right to be in clouds and those of us who can fly to IFR standards should accept that increase in risk no matter how small because Gliders are a special case and should not have to conform to the safety requirements that the rest of us have to do.

Nothing posted here has allayed those genuine fears only increased them so we carry on in the status quo that has always been until there is a collision with something major that the press go to town on.

At that point we may all wish we had fought harder to find a solution because one will be forced on us.

I hope if nothing else some posters here are more aware that class G does not just contain small GA but they are likely to also have a 737 fill their screens.

My own apologies if I have trodden on anyones toes in this thread.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 4th Sep 2008 at 10:05.