PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 08:13
xolodenko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justme69, with all due respect for the excellent job you are doing providing us with diligent translation of Spanish press reports, I have following remarks:

You have begun by saying that you have no aviation background and you are only translating what the Spanish media reports about the accident but eventually you ended up inserting your personal evaluations of what is “likely” and what is “unlikely” and what is “highly unlikely” into your translations and making pretty bold statements like "99% of the cause of an accident like that.. [].. would be the failure of both pilots to check and double check..[]..the main two or three configuration parameters vitals to achieving take-off" and “until humans are removed from that process, these kind of accidents WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN” though making it look like it is not you who is saying this but “As many have pointed out here” (I’ve been reading this thread from post No.1 and never saw anybody implying that), all of which finally culminated in a bringing in Chernobyl as a comparison, which is not quite relevant, to say the least (I'd been living in Kiev, a city some 100 km odd from Chernobyl so we know all there is to know about that tragedy, trust me on my word).

It would be perfectly OK since many folks here are making statements and evaluations without having “aviation background” behind them had it not been for the fact that you have been viewed here as the valuable first-hand renderer of Spanish media reports, which are not accessible to most of us here since few here know English and Spanish equally good as you do. So my perception of your posts is now sort of messed up because I now have difficulty telling “media words” from “justme69’s words” (the former at least being an attempt to look authoritative ‘coz they cite some insider sources close to the investigation and the latter just being a personal opinion of a person who “is not a pilot, not a traffic controller, not an aviation engineer” as you said yourself in the beginning).

Again, with all due respect and thanks for your huge effort to provide us with accurate translation of the Spanish media reports.